This is a vanity that I built for a previous home of mine in Southeast Portland. All of the wood came from the Rebuilding Center. They were very rough boards to start with but once milled down they produced a nice finished product.In this image you can see the boards I was working with on saw horses behind my house, plus the van that I used to move to portland.
The thickness of the boards that I was working with ranged from 1 1/4 inches to 5/8 of on inch. The easiest way to create a uniform slab thickness was to cut the boards to a consistent width of 1 1/2 inches and turn them on edge. I then planed the broad surfaces of the boards to prepare them for edge gluing.
The pieces each get a light coat of glue. I usually use a paint brush to apply it and then get clamped together.
Here are more pieces of wood being glued. The clamps I use are Pony pipe Clamps and they screw onto 3/4 inch gas pipe so you can make clamps whatever length you want.
Here are the two pieces that will be joined to form the bottom of the vanity. I have a 13 inch planer so I glued the pieces up in two sections that would fit through my planer. Once the pieces had gone through the planer I then glued those pieces together and used a belt sander followed by an orbital sander to smooth the joint.
Here’s the full width bottom piece and one of the vertical pieces.
This is the vanity top after unclamping and before sanding.
I made a jig from some scrap plywood in the garage to rout out channels to fit the vertical pieces.
Here is the vanity being assembled.
After a whole lot of cutting, gluing, clapping and sanding here is the finished and installed vanity. All of the wood for the vanity it’s self is reclaimed fir and the doors are made out of painted scrap plywood.
This is how my office looked before.
I combined the table and small chest of drawers that I was using for a desk with some plywood 2x4s and paint I had in the the garage to make this.
I also use the room for recording music sometimes so I put the desk on castors so the room configuration can be changed easily depending on what the space is being used for. The platform below makes it so my trash and recycling cans move with the desk.
I secured my power strip and cords to the underside. Anything that I may want to reconfigure is held by rubber bands hooked over screws. The rubber bands allow me to keep the cords coiled up but I can easily pull more more slack up through the top of the desk if I need.
Notice my computer speakers are also mounted to the under side of the desk in the corners.
As with many reuse projects I’m happier with the outcome than I would be with anything I can buy. It’s built around what works for me and has a story to it. I find that I change the configuration of the room more than I thought I would for all kinds of reasons, sometimes just to break up the monotony of a project. Also I like unique designs and I know there’s not another desk like this one out there.